Tuesday 24 April 2012

ClearContext - the outlook saviour? - a review

I receive tons of e-mails each day. The only way I found in the past to be able to 1- find the mails afterwards when I need them and 2 – be aware of the mails I’ve treated and the ones that still need to be treated, was archiving the mails in specific folders, related to each of the numerous projects, teams and organizations I have to deal with. I really wanted to be aware of how many mails I received and sent every day (splitting them into folders didn’t make this job possible at all), to realize how much “work” I did each day and why at the end of the days it felt like nothing had been done.

That’s when I decided I should find some sort of tool to help me count my e-mails. I’ve tried some tools, but they didn’t work as I expected nor as I needed. Furthermore, they took a long time to generate the reports, and didn’t have a way to compare each day with the previous ones. No help!

So I kept searching over and over again. I then found ClearContext. I must say that at first I didn’t really believe it would help me either. I just wanted a tool to count my e-mails, what would I do with the extra features? And having to configure all that? But it was true it took me ages to scroll the folders list up and down and I didn’t seem to be able to keep up with the mails! And, above all, it wouldn’t hurt just to try it. So I did.

I’ve installed it, and begun being able to see how many mails I received each day, how many mails I sent, how many of those were answers, what was my workload and how well was I dealing with my inbox as a whole. Furthermore, it showed the global average, a comparison with the other users. This at first made me think I couldn’t do as well as others, but on the other hand it shown me my workload was above average. The assisted archive of mails also proved to be really handy. I probably spare over 1 hour a day just not having to scroll the folder’s list up and down every time I want to archive another e-mail!
 
It’s a keeper for sure!

No comments: